Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Q&A with Influence Speaker Lara Casey



We are thrilled to welcome Lara Casey to our lineup of incredible speakers.  

Lara is the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Southern Weddings® magazine, founder of the Making Things Happen movement and a noted branding expert. She frequently speaks on branding, marketing and taking action on your dreams. Lara lives in Chapel Hill, NC, with her husband Ari and daughter Grace, and loves to ski, paint, and eat very spicy things.

She graciously agreed to answer five of my questions.
  (And her answers make me even more eager for September...)


Can you share a little about your various online endeavors? 

 I wear a lot of hats, but they all directly connect to my core mission, which is to help creative entrepreneurs cultivate rich lives focused on what matters. Here are some fun links to my internet "homes" : )

How did you begin? 

 In one sentence, I began by taking action on what felt like a really a "crazy idea" and started the magazine on my tiny 13" PC with zero experience. It was a true leap of faith. In about 200 sentences, here is my whole story!

People must come to you for advice all the time. What is the one question you wish people would ask?  

 Oh wow. Honestly, I wish people would ask me, "How do I glorify God in all I do?" I certainly don't have all the answers for them, but I am passionate about sharing my testimony and all that God has brought me through. When someone has a heart to ask that question in the first place, I know they are on the right path. Nothing fires me up more!

What is a fundamental truth you wish all gospel-centered women would start fully embracing in their daily lives? 

 God desires for us to take the narrow path. And that means hard decisions and living a life that doesn't match the way the rest of the world lives. It means doing the extraordinary. Being a disciple of Jesus means moment by moment choosing Him over the world and our egos and what everyone else things we "should" do. Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. - Matt 7:13

I love the Jim Rohn quote you referenced on your blog, "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." Why is that quote so significant for you? 

 You asked the magic question! I've learned the hard way, as most of us do, that not being a part of a community of believers is a quick way to run yourself down the wrong path. God desires for us to be a part of the "body" which is the church. It's not about walking into a building once a week, it's about a daily lifestyle, surrounded by people who have the same core goal - to glorify God and build His kingdom. I always think of the Fellowship of the Believers in Acts 2:42-47:

 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

 Surrounding yourself with people who will help you stay focused on the narrow path is vital. Living by that has changed my entire life.

3 comments:

  1. Lara, I'm so looking forward to hearing you speak and meeting you at Influence! It's inspiring to see someone devoted to daily glorifying God and living out their God-given gifts and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this! Can't wait to hear Lara speak at the conference. I just went through her goal posts on her site and they have been HUGE for me. Thanks Lindsey and Lara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this! So wish I could make the conference :/.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...